Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Wandering in Calabanga, Camarines Sur.


It’s been more than a month since the last time I travelled to a place far from home, so yesterday, I got out of our house and ventured out for a town hopping. I really don’t have a plan for that day. All I really wanted was to travel somewhere or away from the four corners of our house. So after I ate my brunch, I took a bath, nagbihis at nagprepare na ng gamit para magdaytour sa kung saan man na lugar. I thought of going somewhere in Albay but I don’t know where, and I felt a little bit lazy to research for a destination so I just then headed to Naga City and then from Naga City I decided to town hopped to the nearby town. I visited a total of 3 towns yesterday but I’ll just focus my story on the town of Calabanga.

Barangay Cagsao

The town of Calabanga is a big town located north of Naga City. It is about a 30 minute jeepney ride from Naga City Northbound Terminal. Calabanga has a lot to offer for visiting tourist. There are a lot of things to do in this beautiful town.  There are several resorts in the area and there are also several beaches. The town doesn’t boast a white sand beach but there are really some nice beaches in Calabanga.

Every year, during the Holy Week, hundreds of thousands of people flocks to Calabanga to visit the miraculous Amang Hinulid. Devotees walk for several kilometers to show their devotion and then kiss the image of Christ. Amang Hinulid is an image of the Lord Jesus in repose in his tomb. Last year, an estimated of half a million devotees visited Amang Hinulid.

Calabanga is located near the mouth of Bicol River so there’s an abundance of fish supply in the area. One of the famous products in Calabanga is “abo”. It is a kind of dried fish that is commonly sold in Calabanga and nearby municipalities. There are also old churches in Calabanga. Being one of the earliest settlements in Bicol, Calabanga is full of history.

Quipayo Church

Quipayo Church


Nuestra Señora de la Porteria Church or Calabanga Church

Another destination in Calabanga is The Village @ San Bernardino located at Barangay San Bernardino, Calabanga. This resort is also called as LRV Agri-Science Farm. It is a resort with an organic farm. You can go to the resort and pick and buy fresh vegetables and you can even catch a fish at their fishing lagoon.  The resort also offers big rooms and cottages for an overnight stay and they also have a big function hall for different events.

Municipal Hall of Calabanga
One of the cottages at  The Village @ San Bernardino

The Village @ San Bernardino

The Village @ San Bernardino

The Village @ San Bernardino

I only stayed for several hours in Calabanga. I’ve been to this place for so many times since my college years but it was only yesterday that I had that moment to capture a lot of photos of this beautiful town called Calabanga. It was almost about late in the afternoon when I decided to go back to Naga City. Ayoko kasi magpagabi baka maubusan na ng byahe pabalik ng Naga City. I wasn’t been able to visit the other resorts in town but I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to visit them someday. In order for you to get to Calabanga, from Naga City Bus Terminal, ride a tricycle to Naga Northbound Terminal. The travel time is 10 minutes. And then from Northbound Terminal, ride a jeepney bound for Calabanga. The travel time is 30 minutes. Fare is 20 to 25 pesos. So that’s for now! Kagaya nga ng laging sinasabi ng mga Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, COWABUNGA Dudes!!!!!  Sounds like Calabanga Dudes!!!! Hehehehe!

No comments:

Post a Comment